Joel Stegall (’61)

Retired from career as academic dean / university vice president

Winston-Salem
WFU Class of 1961
Majors: English, Music

DeacLink: Please walk me through your path from graduation day to your current job.

Joel Stegall: After serving in the US Army, I was a junior high school music teacher before becoming the college choir director at Mars Hill University. I was Dean of Music at Ithaca College (NY), director of the School of Music at the University of Florida (FL), and vice-president for academic affairs at Shenandoah University (VA). Since retirement I’ve been involved in academic consulting and executive search committees.

DL: How much did your studies and general experience at Wake inform or drive your career path?

JS: Somewhat. At Wake Forest, I was not sure what I wanted to do as a career, though I learned several things I did not want to do. I tried different majors and activities: choir, voice, psychology…I was Managing Editor for the Old Gold and Black, which was the best experience I ever had to help me write. I finally decided I wanted to study music professionally and went to grad school in Music at the University of North Texas, then went on to receive a doctorate at UNC-Chapel Hill. After Wake, all the other academic work seemed relatively easy.

DL: How did you find and apply to the various positions you’ve held? Any tips or suggestions for the student audience on networking, interviewing and applying for jobs?

JS: I applied for jobs when they were posted in a print journal—usually the Chronicle of Higher Education. My suggestions:

• Try never to offend anyone unnecessarily; they may be asked about you when you look for a job.
  • Remember that everyone you report to can be a reference for the next job.
  • When you see an ad, think about whether you would be a good fit; then write your letter of recommendation stating specifically how you can do what they want.

DL: What is your favorite part of living in Winston-Salem?

JS: We chose Winston-Salem as a retirement place because we wanted a house we could afford not far from an airport and major highway (so we could travel easily), and we wanted to be near a university (lectures, art/music/athletic events). We found all that in Winston-Salem.

In retirement, I’ve been a member of a great church (Centenary United Methodist downtown). I sing in Symphony Chorus and in an excellent church choir. I’m active in community groups and work part time as managing editor of professional magazine (exclusively through Internet).

DL: What and where is next for you?

JS: Don’t know! Open to options!

DL: Any other kernel of advice you’d like to impart to the readers?

JS: Be careful about advice old folks give you.