Liz Shumate

Assistant Project Manager
Zubatkin Owner Representation

New York City, New York
WFU Class of 2010
Major: Theatre, Communication

DeacLink: What did you study at Wake? What year did you graduate?
Liz Shumate: I graduated from Wake Forest in 2010 with a double major in Theatre and Communication.

DL: Please walk me through your path from graduation day to your current job.
LS: After graduation, I interned in both the artistic production department of Manhattan Theatre Club and the general management department of Stuart Thompson Productions (now Thompson Turner Productions). At Stuart Thompson Productions, I supported the management teams of multiple Broadway productions, including the world premiere of THE BOOK OF MORMON. Over the next several years, I continued to pursue my career in theatrical production in New York City, spending four years developing new projects at Cirque du Soleil. While my love for Broadway remains strong, I made a career transition in 2018 into my current role: Assistant Project Manager at Zubatkin Owner Representation. I work as an Owner’s Representative, primarily serving not-for-profit organizations, including museum, performing arts, educational and religious institutions in the New York metropolitan area and the Northeast region. The focus of my company’s practice is to assist in the strategic planning, design, and construction of capital projects. I utilize the skill set I developed as a theatrical producer every day as I work on all aspects of project development and management— from programming to design to construction— in an equally dynamic and creative industry.

DL: How much did your studies and general experience at Wake inform or drive your career path?
LS: I spent the majority of my time as a Wake undergrad in Scales Fine Arts Center, taking classes with the Department of Theatre & Dance, serving on the executive board of Anthony Aston Players, attending productions, stage managing, and working in the Scene Shop. It was there that I developed my passion for bringing creative visions to life. I credit my project management skills to the Department of Theatre & Dance and Wake Forest requiring theatre majors to have a holistic understanding of how a theatrical production is made. In addition, I use communications skills every day to collaborate with my teammates and effectively carry out direction that best serves my clients.

DL: How did you find and apply to the various positions you’ve held (online, inside reference/rec, networking in person, WFU resources, other)? Tips and suggestions for the student audience on networking, interviewing and applying for jobs.
LS: I applied to my first full-time position through a virtual job board on Playbill.com. I have been lucky to have found all my future positions through personal reference. Networking is critical, and what goes the extra mile is showing a genuine interest in people and what they do, not just what they can do for you. Try to establish a personal connection with others and follow up with them periodically to check in. When it comes to interviewing and applying for jobs, know your worth and don’t be afraid to pursue an opportunity that pushes you outside of your comfort zone.

DL: What could Wake have done better to prepare students for life after graduation?
LS: I think Wake could have done a better job preparing students for the realities of living in high-demand areas such as New York City, including understanding moving costs, average costs of living, and how to appropriately budget for their preferred lifestyles.

DL: What is your favorite part of living and working in New York City?
LS: The energy of New York is unlike anywhere else in the world. It both inspires and pushes me to be the best version of myself. As an avid runner, I’m also a fan of all the great running routes around the city!

DL: What is your favorite part about working for Zubatkin Owner Representation? (Can include perks, specific experiences or anecdotes from the job).
LS: My favorite part about my work is I do what I’m passionate about—bringing creative visions to life. I get to collaborate with a team of dedicated people on projects that have lasting impacts in the New York City community.

DL: What and where is next for you?
LS: I love my career and life in New York, so I don’t plan to make any major changes in the near future.

DL: Kernel of advice you’d like to impart to the readers.
LS: Don’t commit yourself to a specific 10-year plan after graduation, because that plan will change—and that’s okay! Each new opportunity will help lead you where you are meant to go.