Emily Smith

This interview was conducted in summer 2020.

Marketing & Publicity Assistant at Lionsgate

Los Angeles
WFU Class of 2016
Major: Communication
Minors: Studio Art & Spanish

DeacLink: Please walk us through your path from graduation day to your current job.

Emily Smith: Oh gosh, I took many left and right turns before I knew what I wanted and found my passion (it doesn’t always happen in undergrad!) After graduating from Wake, I first got an internship in video production at a startup in Washington D.C. During my undergrad career, I did as much as I could to get video production experience (largely in avant-garde / video art and documentary filmmaking in the Communication Department.) From there, I realized that I sought to make feature-length films, the kinds of movies you go to the theater for. I knew that to actualize my dream, I needed more contacts and knowledge about the film industry and thus decided to get my MFA at The Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia. From there, I gained the hands-on experience needed to succeed and also developed an understanding of the craft. More importantly, I developed a professional network and landed another internship at Miramax in Los Angeles, where I made crucial contacts that enabled me to get the job that I have now.

DL: How much did your studies and general experience at Wake inform or drive your career path?

ES: Wake gave me the foundation for filmmaking. Without learning the artistic aspect and principles of video art, I never would’ve been able to appreciate the medium itself. I was fortunate enough to combine my passions for art and business by taking both studio art classes and media and advertising classes while at Wake. Only later would I find out that I’m born and bred to be a producer (which is essentially the role in filmmaking that combines business and creativity). Wake gave me all the puzzle pieces and I put them together.

DL: How did you find and apply to the various positions you’ve held?

ES: It is SO important for you to be incredibly proactive and reach out to as many alumni as you can when you get out of school and even before you graduate. I reached out through alumni Facebook pages and Linkedin. 70% of jobs come from people you know, but that’s not to say that someone you’ve never met won’t notice you. I got my internship in DC without knowing a soul at the company. They were impressed by my resume and I got the job. When I moved to LA I didn’t have a job and worked tirelessly to talk to as many alums in the industry as I could. An employee at Walt Disney (whom I had never met) came across my portfolio and invited me to come to the studios for a chat. Nothing came of it, but it just goes to show you that the more persistent you are, the more opportunities become possible.

I used the Wake Network site as well as groups on Facebook and Linkedin to reach out to alumns. Essentially, it was like finding a needle in a haystack. I did get some alumns on the phone and they were helpful in directing me who I needed to talk to. But they will not get you the job. More times than not, people are more than likely to sit down and talk with you, but they’ll “put a good word in” and you might not hear from them again. I found it very useful to connect with senior level executives with careers that I aspired to have. These are the kind of people who can get you an interview or connect you with HR. I think if I had known that earlier at Wake, I wouldn’t have wasted a lot of time talking to people closer to my age who couldn’t really do much for me. Regardless, it was awesome to broaden my network and make new friends, which is equally as important.

I believe having a Wake alum on the west coast, who will spearhead activities, events, and gatherings, would be very powerful in connecting the community. It would be a huge opportunity for growth out here in the future.

DL: What is your favorite part of living and working in LA? What is the most interesting thing going on in the art scene there at the moment, in your opinion

ES: Well, we’re in the middle of quarantine so there’s not much that I’m able to do, but I fell in love with the beach and mountains here. California in and of itself is a gorgeous state and is just oozing with adventure. People are very health conscious here as well, so there are endless options for delicious, wholesome food. I also really enjoy the diverse population and have learned so much from people all around the world with unique perspectives.

DL: What is your favorite part about working for Lionsgate?

ES: I love the department I’m in, we’re small so it’s easier to really get to know each other. Each of us is so different both personality-wise and also in the way that we work. I’m constantly learning new ways of leadership. It’s awesome that I work with powerhouse women too!

DL: What and where is next for you?

ES: I will definitely stay in LA for awhile and work in film. The industry is here. The jobs are here. My career is very important to me so I hope to develop my producing skills and work on films that have powerful messages and really move the audience. Whether it’s for a big studio or for an independent production company, I aspire to work with people who have the same vision as I do.

DL: Any kernel of advice you’d like to impart to the readers?

ES: I got very lucky when I moved out to LA. I got my first job within the first few months while simultaneously couch surfing and scouting apartments. It’s not always going to work out that quickly. You won’t always get the interview, or the job, but trust me when I say that what happens is meant to happen. Whatever you’re committed to, will happen. If you’re committed to getting into the finance industry, you will. If you’re committed to laying on the couch and binge watching TV, then you will. Don’t put off getting ahead of the game. Be proactive and know that your perseverance will pay off. Patience is very important and nothing will come easy.

It may take time to get where you want but nothing is more powerful than your passion. Don’t lose it. And don’t silence or ignore the little voice that’s telling you that you should do something. That guidance from within will never fail you, it’s your guiding light.