Chris Bailey

Executive Producer/Owner, Golden Bull Films

Charlotte, NC
WFU Class of 2007
Major: Business
Minor: Journalism

DeacLink: What did you study at Wake? What year did you graduate?

Chris Bailey: I studied business and journalism and graduated in 2007.

DL: Please walk me through your path from graduation day to your current job.

CB: After graduation I decided I wanted to pursue a career in the sports industry. A high school friend of mine was working at the NBA and was able to get me an interview for an entry-level video production job. I had no experience in video production, but gladly took the job because I am a big basketball fan. As I progressed, I really fell in the love with the production field, namely the editing and story-telling aspects. I worked for MLB Network and WWE as a producer/editor before moving to Charlotte in 2016 and forming my own production company. My day-to-day work is not a whole lot different now; I have a few main clients who I create video content for, namely ESPN/SEC Network and NASCAR, while always keeping an eye out for additional opportunities.

DL: How much did your studies and general experience at Wake inform or drive your career path?

CB: While I liked studying business, I found I did not have the same passion for it that I did for sports, which was the main driver in my focus to try to get into that field and possibly use my business degree to do so. That ultimately was not the case as I pivoted to video production. What Wake really taught me was work ethic. I feel like I probably worked harder than most of my peers at other schools and that has been a valuable tool in my career.

DL: How did you find and apply to the various positions you’ve held?

CB: Most of the jobs I’ve held have been a direct result of knowing someone who already works there or having a contact who knew someone and was able to forward my resume to a decision-maker directly. It may not be fair, but companies get a ton of applications and knowing someone on the inside definitely increases your chances of getting an interview. Once you get the interview, your personal skills, experience, and abilities will probably mean a lot more to actually getting the job and succeeding there.

DL: What could Wake have done better to prepare students for life after graduation?

CB: I felt like there could have been a wider breadth of opportunities to network or get exposed to companies and professions in more non-traditional business roles.

DL: What is your favorite part of living and working in Charlotte? What is the most interesting thing going on in the art scene there at the moment, in your opinion?

CB: While Charlotte isn’t as strong as New York City or Los Angeles for video production, I think it has a good amount of opportunities for people interested in this field, especially in sports. NASCAR is headquartered here, there are several professional and minor league teams, and both ESPN and Fox Sports have a presence. There is local TV news, universities, banking, and religious organizations, all of which have some video production needs. The city also keeps growing.

DL: What is your favorite part about your job?

CB: I am a huge sports fans and have been lucky to create content for almost every major professional and collegiate sport. I have traveled around the country and attended a lot of cool sporting events. Most importantly, there have been many days in my career when my job does not feel like work.

DL: What and where is next for you?

CB: Most of my work has been in sports-related television, I would like to produce a feature length documentary, perhaps outside the sports world.

DL: Any kernel of advice you’d like to impart to the readers?

CB: Network. Everyone says it, but it’s true. It can be awkward to reach out to someone you don’t know and feel like you’re angling for work, but I have found there are a lot of people who are willing to help. I have written plenty of unanswered emails, but most of my work in Charlotte has come from one person I reached out to on LinkedIn. He was willing to give me a chance to work with him, and I would say we have both benefited from the connection. Your skills and work ethic determine how well you do at your job, but your network is often what creates those opportunities. Also, be open to new and different opportunities that you may not have envisioned. In my case, I spent a lot of time studying business thinking that would be my career. I ended up going a totally different direction but have really enjoyed it and would not want to be doing anything else.