Maya Whitaker (’23)

stArt gallery WFU, Manager

Winston-Salem, NC
WFU Class of 2023
Majors: Sociology
Minors: Studio Art and Art History

DeacLink: Please walk me through your path from graduation day to your current job.

Maya Whitaker (’23): I applied to the stArt gallery Manager position over winter break of my Senior year, and pretty quickly was brought in for an interview and then offered the position. So, I got a quick summer break after graduating in May, and then returned to campus in July to begin my position. So far, this has been the best position I could imagine to hold straight out of college, as I get to continue working with the WFU Arts community for two years while I gain professional development skills and have time to figure out what comes next.

DeacLink: How much did your studies and general experience at Wake inform or drive your career path?

Maya: At Wake I was particularly interested in art as a tool for social justice and community building. I structured my academics in Sociology and the Arts to explore this intersection, while I also pursued the act of community engaged art-making through extracurriculars. In my first semester at Wake, I founded the Artivists Collective for Socially Engaged Art. This group started small but mighty, and by the end of my time we had successfully completed two major exhibitions: one showcase in the lower breezeway of Scales, and one exhibition “Sustain[ance]” at the stArt gallery. Through both an internship at stArt for Art 293 Practicum credit, and the successful completion of “Sustain[ance]”, I became well versed in the operations of a functioning gallery. I also lead the installation of the visual artwork for the first ever Wakeville Interdisciplinary Arts Festival. This culmination of experiences and interests set me up for this position and prepared me for the work I have done with stArt since. I am sure that the interdisciplinary learning I gained from WFU will guide me in my future career.

DeacLink: How did you find and apply to the various positions you’ve held? Any tips or suggestions for the student audience on networking, interviewing and applying for jobs?

Maya: I learned about this position from the previous manager, Riley Phillips, at the Fall Career Fair. I think Handshake is an excellent resource for students, and attending career fairs or pop up events is a good way to stay informed on opportunities. I advise students to ask a lot of questions from the connections you have about the jobs you may be interested in to know if they are really the right fit for you, and always reach out to potential connections to grab a cup of coffee and learn more from them if you can!

DeacLink: What is your favorite part of living and working in Winston?

Maya: I grew up in Winston-Salem so the art scene here is familiar to me, but I always enjoy spending time at SECCA, Reynolda House, and the smaller spaces downtown such as galleries and coffee shops that showcase local artists. Of course I’m biased towards the WFU galleries, but if you haven’t come to see Of the Times in Hanes Gallery then you’re missing out! I think the art scene is slowly recovering from the isolation of the pandemic, and people are warming up to more community based and collaborative programming, so I’m most excited to see the growth of local events.

DeacLink: What is your favorite part about where you work?

Maya: stArt gallery is the best! The gallery itself is a great space to be in, with tons of natural light and fun artwork. I love being in Reynolda Village and getting to talk to community members as they browse the shops or stop by on their way to get a crepe next door. My proximity to Dough Joes is also definitely a perk when I need a quick treat. I also get to be a sort of honorary fellow, which means I can join the Wake Forest Fellows programming and have lunch with compelling members of our community such as President Wente, Provost Gillespie, VP Shea Kidd Brown, and more.

DeacLink: Any other kernel of advice you’d like to impart to the readers?

Maya: I have one more year with the stArt gallery, so I’m trying to stay present and gain all of the knowledge and experience I can in my current position while also thinking ahead. My dream career would incorporate both the arts and social justice/community engagement, so I’m figuring out what the next steps are for me whether it be grad school or another job. Ask me again in a year and I’ll have a better answer for you!