Sophie Heldt (’20)

MA in Art History from UNC Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill & Winston-Salem
WFU Class of 2020
Major: Art History
Minors: French, Studio Art

Riley Phillips (’21): Please walk me through your path from graduation day to your current job.

Sophie Heldt (’20): Before March 2020, I didn’t have any jobs lined up but I knew I wanted to go to grad school for art history. I wanted to take a gap year to work on my applications and hopefully gain more museum experience before starting grad school. I’m almost glad I didn’t have a job lined up because COVID shut everything down anyways. I spent more time living at home than I intended, but it allowed me to save up money and focus on finding a job once things started opening back up. Because I knew Winston’s art community fairly well thanks to my time in undergrad, I used my previous connections to get part-time jobs at both SECCA (where I worked as a Steward) and at Sawtooth School for Visual Arts (where I worked as the Front Desk Assistant and Registrar).

By the start of 2021, I had applied to four graduate programs, and my first acceptance was from UNC Chapel Hill which is where I am now! They offered me funding as well as a guaranteed position working in the department, so I accepted. Two years, about ten seminar papers, and an MA thesis later, I’m about to graduate!

RP: How much did your studies and general experience at Wake inform or drive your career path?

SH: My studio and art history classes were definitely influential on my trajectory post-undergrad to grad school as well as my current specialization in art history: Modern French Art with a focus on depictions of the female nude and female artists. While I learned a lot about different periods and styles of art making, I found myself wondering why we had not studied many female artists. After taking both undergrad- and grad-level art history courses, I’m now more aware now you won’t learn everything you want to know in the classroom. Most courses are organized around the professor’s specialization and their current research. You have to do your own research (beyond assigned research papers) to bolster your knowledge of art/artists in which you are interested.

My general experience at Wake in the arts was also a major influence on my current career path. The people that were (and some that still are) working in the Art Department fostered a supportive environment that made me feel like it was possible to forge a successful and enriching career in the arts after graduating. Without this environment and supportive group of people (both faculty and students), I’m not sure if I would be as optimistic about all the opportunities in the field.

RP: How did you find and apply to the various positions you’ve held?

SH: I was informed about a lot of the internships/part-time jobs I had in undergrad by Art Department faculty and staff. In my experience, the faculty and staff were extremely generous with their time for students who were involved in the department and express their interest in pursuing a career in the arts. I’m so glad I took advantage of this while I was there, because believe it or not, not all departments are invested in their students as emerging artists/scholars post-graduation – some are hardly involved with their students while they are enrolled!

My advice to current undergrads wanting to pursue a career in the arts is be persistent. Follow up, and keep contacting people. Introduce yourself – in person if you can. Don’t be afraid to use your connections or put yourself out there. People appreciate when you make an effort.

RP: What is your favorite part of living and working in Chapel Hill? What is the most interesting thing going on in the art scene there at the moment, in your opinion?

SH: My favorite part about living in Chapel Hill is how close I am to several of North Carolina’s art museums and galleries. That, and you’re only a few hour drive from the mountains or the beach! There are always exhibitions and shows to attend. In my opinion, the most interesting thing going on in the triangle’s art scene right now is a show at the North Carolina Museum of Art called Ruth E. Carter: Afrofuturism in Costume Design. I haven’t been to see it yet, but I know they have several costumes Carter designed for Black Panther and Do the Right Thing on display. It’s a refreshing change of pace to see costume design take center stage at a major Southeastern art museum.

RP: What is your favorite part about working for UNC’s Art & Art History Department?

SH: My favorite part about being a grad student/employee for UNC’s Art & Art History department has been the opportunity to teach undergrads about art history. I’ve TAed for classes covering material that is equally new to me as it is for the students. For example, I had to teach a unit on baseball which covered visual culture like baseball cards and other memorabilia. While I was able to fill in the gaps in their knowledge about visual analysis and historical context, some of my students knew far more about the history and nuances of the sport than I did. It was a really rewarding experience to see the excitement in their eyes when talking about a sport they are passionate about and applying that understanding to an entirely different subject like art history.

RP: What and where is next for you?

SH: The short answer is: I don’t know! I do know that I will be moving back to Winston-Salem for the time being to be with my boyfriend of 6 years (Lucas Williams ’19) who I met at Wake, but that’s all I am certain of at the moment. I’m currently applying for jobs in art museums, so we will see where I land. I haven’t ruled out the possibility of going back to school for my PhD, but for right now, I’m stepping away from academia.

RP: Any kernel of advice you’d like to impart to the readers?

SH: Embrace where you are right now. Don’t try to speed things up. If it doesn’t work out, then it wasn’t meant to be.