Valerie Medoff

This interview was conducted in the summer of 2020.

Stage Management Production Assistant, Alliance Theatre

Atlanta, GA
WFU Class of 2017
Majors: Theatre and Communication, with a Media Studies Concentration
Minor: Film Studies

DeacLink: Please walk us through your path from graduation day to your current job.

Valerie Medoff: After graduation, I moved to the suburbs of Atlanta and completed a year-long stage management apprenticeship at Aurora Theatre. During that season, I worked as the assistant stage manager on all of the Aurora’s mainstage productions. This helped me to make connections with other professionals in the Atlanta theatre community, which ultimately helped me get an interview at the Alliance Theatre, where I work now.

DL: How much did your studies and general experience at Wake inform or drive your career path?

VM: Because Wake Forest’s Theatre program is a general one, I was able to get a good background in all areas of theatre. I originally came in with the intent to spend most of my time acting but found a love for stage management while looking for other ways to get involved in the program my freshman year. During my four years, I continued to both act and stage manage, but I ultimately found that stage management was where I really thrived. Stage management wasn’t something I was really exposed to prior to Wake, so I’m grateful that the program gave me the flexibility to explore more aspects of theatre.

I also had an incredible faculty mentor within the program, Kevin Frazier, who encouraged me to create a stage management—focused honors project my senior year, rather than follow the traditional honors directing path. Through that experience I was able to assistant stage manage at an Equity theatre in Greensboro, Triad Stage. I learned so much about professional Equity theatre during that time and was able to incorporate that into my thesis to educate future WFU stage managers about professional practices. My experience at Triad Stage really elevated my resume and helped me land my apprenticeship right out of college; it also made the transition to professional theatre much easier.

DL: How did you find and apply to the various positions you’ve held?

VM: When applying for my apprenticeship, I did a lot of research on theatres all over the country that offered an apprenticeship program. My professors were a great resource for this and helped point me in the direction of theatres where they thought I would be a good fit or they had some sort of personal connection. So much of working in theatre is networking. I rarely work on a show where I don’t know at least one person working on the project in some capacity. I think getting to know all of your co-workers on each project is the easiest way to network. I would highly recommend WFU students who are interested in pursuing a career in theatre get some professional experience either over summers or during the semester while they are still undergraduate students. Getting the first job is key and then from there, it’s really putting in the work to impress your superiors. Ultimately, they’re the ones who will refer you on for work at other theatres.

DL: What could Wake have done better to prepare students for life after graduation?

VM: Finding arts jobs can feel very tricky because, unlike other industries, you’re rarely going to find job postings online. I wish I would have connected with more Wake alums working in theatre prior to my senior year.

DL: What is your favorite part of living and working in Atlanta? What is the most interesting thing going on in the art scene there at the moment, in your opinion?

VM: I love how Atlanta is a big city that feels small. You get all of the perks of living in a big city, like the booming arts scene, along with the suburb feel of being surrounded by nature. I also enjoy how close—knit the arts community here is. It’s a very supportive one. With the current pandemic, the whole arts industry is on a hiatus right now. It’s interesting to see how many theatres are shifting gears to produce virtual events to keep their patrons engaged until it’s safe to gather again.

DL: What is your favorite part about working for Alliance Theatre?

VM: I love getting to work with familiar faces. Our stage management team is a group of five right now, which means we’re always switching up teams for each production. It’s refreshing to work with a new group of people on a new project while still having the comfort of the familiar atmosphere. I also enjoy getting to work on a range of projects from straight plays to large-scale musicals.

DL: What and where is next for you?

VM: Right now because of the pandemic, things feel so uncertain, especially for those of us working in the arts. I’m eager to get back to working on shows at the Alliance Theatre when it’s safe for us to be producing in person again and to continue to grow my career in Atlanta.

DL: Any kernel of advice you’d like to impart to the readers?

VM: My high school theatre teacher would always tell us-, “If you can imagine being happy working in any industry other than theatre, pursue that.” That’s always stuck with me. Theatre is a demanding industry that can come with sacrifices, like working long days, six days a week. If theatre is truly your passion, though, it’s worth it.